Didn’t quite get the exam results that you had hoped for? Unsure about your options? Well take a deep breath, relax, and let us guide you through Clearing.
What is Clearing?
Clearing is the system which helps students who didn’t meet their conditional offers to find a course. Most universities will offer some courses through Clearing, if you’re flexible on the subject and the location, there’s a good chance you’ll find a course that’s perfect for you.
What do you need to do?
- Stay positive and believe in yourself. It’s tempting to bury your head in the sand and bottle it all up. Talk to family and friends who will no doubt rally round and give you the support you need.
- Log into your UCAS Track account to see if you are eligible for Clearing and make a note of your Clearing number.
- Search for a course. Clearing vacancies will be available on individual university websites, as well as via the UCAS search tool from results day onwards.
- Can’t find a course? You may need to choose an alternative course or subject. Your school, college or careers advisors should be able to help you weigh up your options.
- Have a quick recap over your personal statement. It’s likely you will be asked questions about it when you contact universities.
- Talk to unis. Have your clearing number, UCAS personal ID, and your grades at hand. Think about why you are interested in the course, and what makes you well-suited to it. And remember to sound enthusiastic.
- Take a look around. It’s a good idea to take a look around your chosen uni to see for yourself if you like it.
- Accept the offer. Once you have an offer that you would like to accept, head back to UCAS Track where you will need to add your Clearing choice. It’s then up to the uni to confirm your place in Track.
- Phew… course’s all sorted! Next step… time to find some accommodation. The Student Room is a great place to start your accommodation search. Think about locations close to campus for those 9am lectures and what you can afford.
If you are looking for hassle-free living with free Wi-Fi, all-inclusive bills, on-site security close to campus, then come and live with Sanctuary Students. Discover what Clearing rooms we have available near to University of Bradford (Wardley House), UCLan (Moor Lane Halls), University of Liverpool and John Moores (Marybone and Grenville Street). You can also pop in and take a look around or contact our Accommodation Support Office on 0300 123 5050.