If you’ve left your accommodation to the last minute or you’re going through Clearing, the chances are you’re feeling a little stressed right now! The trick is not to panic. Our six tips will help you make sense of it all.
- What can you afford? It’s important to consider the cost of things like utilities, food, contents insurance, laundry and travel. And don’t forget about those little extras, such as booking fees and deposits, which some halls may charge. All-inclusive bills with free Wi-Fi and free contents insurance can make student life less hassle, leaving you to concentrate on the fun stuff like making new friends and nights out. To work out your budget, give the UCAS calculator a go.
- Location, location. Wouldn’t it be handy to live within walking distance of uni for those 9am lectures? Or a city centre location for all the best nightlife and shopping? Not being near to the action could mean you miss out on a big part of the student experience. And travel costs to and from uni, as well as taxi rides home after nights out, could seriously eat into your finances. Sanctuary Students has rooms available in great city centre locations, including Bradford, Preston, Liverpool and Stratford-upon-Avon.
- Will you make friends? It’s not just where you live but who you live with that’s important. Generally, accommodation providers will want you to enjoy your time living with them and to get on with other students. They may give you the option to live with your friends or provide a great social scene, including welcome parties to encourage you to meet other people in your halls. Most students will make a good circle of friends in halls and share some great memories.
- What facilities do you need? If you prefer a 60-minute spin session to happy hour, then an onsite gym would be ideal. Or if you’re into lounging rather than lunging, check if there is a good social scene with an onsite games room or cinema. For many of you, this will be your first time living away from home and you’ll want to feel safe. Check if the accommodation has CCTV, secure key fob access and 24-hour staff support.
- Attend an open day. Lots of universities offer open days during the clearing process. Nothing beats actually visiting the university and seeing accommodation nearby, to really get a feel of where you want to live.
- Don’t feel pressured. During Clearing it is easy to panic and accept the first thing offered to you. Stay calm and do as much research as you can. Talk to your parents or guardians about what you can afford and check out The Student Room for advice from other students. Whatever it is you’re after, make sure you choose what is right for you.
At Sanctuary Students, we’re offering en-suite rooms with all-inclusive bills in the cities of Bradford, Preston, Liverpool and Stratford-upon-Avon. With just £1 booking fee and no deposit to pay, you’ll find internet, contents insurance, bills, on-site security and repairs are all part of your package. Why not take a look around?