So, you’ve found your perfect university, successfully applied for your postgraduate course, and traversed the rocky landscape of postgrad funding! Now what?
Although you’re likely no stranger to finding student digs, when you’re considering where you want to live for your Master’s degree or PhD, it’s important to think about whether your needs have changed since those fresh-faced undergraduate days.
To help, we’ve put together the ‘6 Cs’ of postgraduate accommodation – from cost to convenience…and finding that bit of calm!
From university halls to private halls (like us!) and private housing, the accommodation options will probably be similar to your undergraduate days…but your priorities might have changed.
For example, while some second- and third-year undergrads may opt to move into private housing in order to gain some experience with budgeting and dealing with bills, it might be that you’d prefer to have everything taken care of for your postgrad degree, so you can focus on your studies. After all, you’re not here to get a doctorate in divvying-up household bills!
At Sanctuary Students, we offer an easy setup and value for money compared to a private house. We have all-inclusive bills – meaning ALL utilities are included with your room cost, including electricity, water and heating – plus there’s Wi-Fi in your room and throughout the building, with great speeds for helping with that heavy workload. Contents insurance, on-site cleaners and on-site security are also included – what more could you need?
And it’s not just finances where private halls offer extra convenience. At Sanctuary Students, all of our accommodation is located close to campus – meaning lecture halls, library and/or labs will be close by. That said, our halls won’t be far from their respective town/city centres, either – giving you the perfect base for enjoying everything the local area has to offer. After all, postgraduate degrees might be more ‘full-on’, but you won’t be studying all the time. So, get out there and explore!
Another benefit of our halls is having a maintenance team a phone call away – whereas, in a private house, it can take a while to get repairs done. And, as we mentioned above, our accommodation has dedicated cleaners – certainly a perk of staying in halls over a private house, but even more of a benefit in the current climate. More on that later!
We’ve all been there – pining for the nights out of Freshers’ Weeks gone by…however, in reality, you’ll probably be living a more sedate life for your postgraduate degree (sorry!). Here at Sanctuary Students, we’re home to students of all ages at various stages of their studies. We allocate our postgrads rooms near fellow postgrad students, so you’ll be surrounded by like-minded people in the same position as you. Most of our properties also have dedicated study areas – if you want a change of scenery from the library!
We have a range of accommodation to suit all tastes, including a large number of en-suite bedrooms. Most of our properties offer state-of-the-art shared kitchen and living areas, as well as common rooms where you can meet up with friends and relax in your free time.
Four of our properties are particularly popular with our postgrad students – let’s take a closer look:
- Grenville Street, Liverpool – Offering luxury double en-suite student rooms and studios, with all-inclusive bills and free 50mb Wi-Fi, Grenville Street is a brilliant option for Master’s and PhD students. You’ll have everything you need right on your doorstep including LJMU, LIPA and Liverpool city centre just a few minutes’ walk away.
- Wardley House, Bradford – Situated in the heart of the city, minutes away from the University of Bradford and Bradford College, Wardley House flats are available with either four or five bedrooms and all rooms are en-suite with double beds. Each flat comes with a fully-fitted kitchen and lounge area with a leather sofa and flat screen TV, plus there’s also a large common room with a pool table, flat screen TV and live BT Sport – perfect for relaxing after a long day of lectures!
- Don Gratton House, London – This excellent-value zone 1 student accommodation allows you to enjoy a central London living experience, while also being just moments away from the attractions of London’s vibrant East End. Your room will provide the perfect study space, and you’ll share a fully fitted communal kitchen, dining and living area with six or seven students.
- Walker Street, Preston – These student flats are furnished to a very high standard, with double en-suite rooms throughout. Flats are available with three to six bedrooms, all with a shared kitchen, breakfast bar and lounge area with leather sofas and a large flat screen TV. You'll also be welcome to use the nearby Moor Lane Halls gym and common room – which comes complete with table football, pool table, games machines and extra-large flat screen TV with Sky.
Even if your party days are long behind you, our accommodation still offers a sociable student experience – helping you meet like-minded mature students and settle in quickly.
At Sanctuary Students, we pride ourselves on building a community, with a range of social opportunities and support on offer. We care about you and your health and well-being, and our superhero team members are here to help with any problems you might have. Our More Than Just A Room programme is designed to offer our students something more than bricks, mortar and a comfy bed. We also offer professional support to help you with any problems you may face – find out more here.
While socialising looks a bit different this year, we’ve still been creating fun events for our student communities to (safely) take part in. In December, we challenged our students to make gingerbread houses with their flatmates – we can’t imagine a landlord doing that…!
While we’re hoping this particular ‘C’ will soon be a distant memory, it’d be careless not to mention how the current pandemic could impact your postgraduate digs, and why our accommodation packages are designed to give you peace of mind during this uncertain time:
- All your bills are taken care of: With the financial uncertainty at the moment, having your bills covered means there’s one less worry. Plus, chances are you’ll be using more utilities if there’s a lockdown or you’re self-isolating – and with Sanctuary Students, there’ll be no additional cost to you!
- Cleaners around the clock: Our accommodation has dedicated cleaners, sanitising stations and protective screens throughout our properties to help keep everyone safe. Our student flats also have on-site laundrettes with an app to see when machines are available to help you keep your distance.
- More Than Just A Room: Most of our locations have an on-site team, 24 hours a day, to make sure everyone in our student community is happy, healthy and safe. We also offer additional support for anyone who is self-isolating – for example, bringing your food deliveries directly to your door via a contactless drop-off.
Find out more…
So, if you’re looking for hassle-free living with free Wi-Fi, all-inclusive bills, on-site security, then come and live with us! Here at Sanctuary Students, we provide the perfect base for students wishing to live alongside other postgraduates, with the peace of mind that your accommodation has everything covered.
We’re an accredited provider of accommodation, so you can trust we’re delivering a professional service. But we’re not just a ‘safe bet’ – we go above and beyond to offer you much more than just a room, and you’ll be surrounded by a friendly team, great facilities and a fun-filled events calendar.
Contact us today to find out more!